The business Tax team at Gray Plant Mooty offers insightful, practical counsel to help you achieve your financial and tax objectives and, when necessary, resolve disputes with tax authorities.
Using our team’s expertise in business and tax issues, we enable you to structure business transactions and other activities to minimize tax obligations and other potential risks. For example, we can help you:
- Plan for ownership transitions in both family and nonfamily businesses, to help coordinate income tax and transfer tax goals
- Select the most tax-advantageous operational structure
- Structure joint ventures, purchases and sales of businesses, and other business transactions to achieve the best tax outcomes
Our services for public and private corporations, partnerships, nonprofits, and individuals include:
- Business entity selection
- Employee compensation and other business deduction issues
- Establishing and dealing with the special issues of tax-exempt organizations
- Foreclosures, debt restructurings, and bankruptcies
- International transactions
- Pass-through entity concerns (partnerships, S corporations, and limited liability companies)
- Sales and exchanges of real estate and other assets
- State income tax and sales tax issues
- State tax nexus and filing issues
- Stock redemptions and recapitalizations
- Tax issues in connection with litigation settlements
- Taxable and tax-free dispositions, acquisitions, and divisions of businesses
Dealing With Tax Problems
Because we have significant experience helping clients respond to situations such as tax audits, protests, and litigation, we’re in an excellent position to assist you if the need arises.
At this difficult time, our first priority is to help you understand your risks and options. Then we address the challenge in ways that position you for a favorable result—at the examination stage, appeal of audit results, or in litigation.