George practices as a member of the Commercial Financial Services team, where he focuses on commercial lending, loan participations, loan servicing, banking regulation, payment systems and privacy regulation.
George’s experience includes development and construction lending, secured lending and UCC Article 9, and a variety of banking regulations, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, RESPA, Bank Secrecy Act, and various state and federal financial privacy laws.
Prior to joining Gray Plant Mooty, George served as director of Legal and Compliance Services at Bankers Systems, Inc. in St. Cloud, where he led a team of legal professionals responsible for the creation of banking software addressing commercial and consumer lending, regulatory compliance risk management, and training programs for financial institutions throughout the United States.
George’s 23 years as an in-house lawyer guides his approach and provides invaluable perspective now as outside counsel to the financial services industry.
As an active member of the St. Cloud community, George is involved with a variety of nonprofit organizations, and has a long history of involvement in youth development including the Boy Scouts of America and coaching youth soccer and basketball.
- Represented lenders in a variety of renewable energy development projects, including ethanol, wind power, and biodiesel
- Represented lenders regarding the negotiation and documentation of loan participations and syndications, and management of multi-lender relationships
- Represented a national lender in implementing a nationwide lending program
- Represented multiple clients regarding data security breaches and related notifications
- Represented senior lenders in connection with the financing, workout, and ultimate foreclose of a 88 MMGY ethanol facility in Indiana
- Represented senior lenders in renewable energy projects in Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin
- Represented senior lenders in a $150 million revolving credit facility for multi-state ethanol marketing company
- Commercial Financial Services Update, editor
- "Records Retention and Document Management in the Electronic Age," GPM Business Breakfast, St. Cloud, Minnesota, May 11, 2011
- "Current Issues in Loan Participations," Bank Holding Company Association 56th Semi-Annual Spring Seminar, May 5, 2009
- “Current Issues In Commercial Lending,” Minnesota Bankers Association, 2008
- “Anti-Money Laundering Update,” Minnesota Bar Association, Business Law section, 2007
- “Data Security and Privacy Update,” Corporate Counsel Breakfast Group, 2007-2007
- Presented more than 50 seminars on lending and payment systems topics to banking industry professionals throughout the United States
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1980
William Mitchell Law Review
- University of Minnesota, B.A., 1976
- Minnesota, 1980
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 1980
- American Bar Association, Business Law section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Business Law section
- Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- Cathedral High School Education Foundation, Board of Directors
- Saint Benedict Senior Community Development Committee
- St. Cloud Cathedral High School, Finance Committee
- Church of St. Peter, Board of Trustees
- Church of St. Peter Finance Committee, past chair